Light My Fire

It was the winter of last year, December 2008, when I was out for a shoot in the North-East India. Having already been in Bangalore for a period of three years – at a stretch – I very much needed a break from the hustle and bustle of what many call it a 'metro life'. After a 62-hourse journey by the Bangalore-Ghy Express, I was soon amidst the lofty hills, the mountains filled with the lush green leaves, and the breeze that I had waited to feel for a long time; the last time I had visited this place was exactly three years back. I was in the North-East. This is a morning shot. I found this man quite nice to talk to. In fact, out conversation had started over a cup of tea. Yes, he is one of the chai wallahs on the streets of Laktokia, Guwahati. The 30-minutes conversation was enough to enlighten me about his plight, and a lot like him. The whole joy of having stayed in a place like Bangalore, city, which boasts to have all the modern amenities came crushing down on me.

Business: Shelterless tea stall


Income: 250 daily


Business Hours: 4.45 a.m. to 8.30 a.m.


Family Members: Five


The place is normally filled with people. But morning hours are normally filled with shop owners, whole sellers and retailers. There is a lot of trade than happens in this area. But of late, because of the insurgent problem the economy of the place has been badly affected.

Light My Fire